Sunday, August 26, 2007

´´¿Si no tome vino, por que ha vino?´´

First of all in an update of status, neither the earthquake in Peru nor the riots in the Bolivian representatives office has affected me. My stories are a little less picante!

Ive fallen in love with Bolivia. After a whirlwind of touring from Buenos Aires to Lima, I decided I needed to hang out in one place for a while. Sucre, in the heart of Bolivia, a colonial town full of Bougainvillea, salteñas, spanish lessons and warmth (finally) was the place. For the first week, my hostal was 2 kilometers from the center so each day I had to walk past the street mercado where dump trucks would unload their enormous piles of oranges onto the streets. After my 5th day walking past the fruit that was on the same dirt that trucks and dogs traversed did I finally succumb and buy half a kilo.

Of course, this is the heart of Bolivia so there couldn't be a few days without protest and demonstration. The judiciary capital is in Sucre while the de facto capital is in La Paz. Sucre didn't want the capital to move to their city and fill it more than it was already so they closed shop. The next day, they had a demonstration that looked more like a carnival with protesters tying themselves to trees. The only ways I and my new South American travel buddy, Natasha, were affected is that we couldn't buy chocolate and we had to go look at dinosaur tracks instead of trekking!

Onto Potosi and the silver mine tours where we adorned ourselves in outfits more suited for a ghostbusters film than a mine. I don´t know how many meters we descended (over 25 I'm sure) but I'm so glad I had a friend to hold my hand. It was freaking scary down there! After walking for 10 seconds we were in complete darkness and the only thing I could think of was how stupid we were for climbing into a mountain weeks after a 7.9 earthquake! We ate coca leaves, payed homage to the owner of the mountain, Tio, who looked like a replica of the devil, drank 96% alcohol with the miners (yeah yikes) and overcame extreme dizziness due to the lack of oxygen. I sincerely don't know how the mines do it but I do not envy their lifestyles and lack of sunlight.

I'm now writing from Tarija which has stolen my heart! Because I am the only gringa here, people began to recognize me as I wondered around. Never have I met friendlier people. Every time I sat down, someone would join me on the bench or at my table to ask me what the heck I'm doing alone. I was befriended by 3 Chapacos who took turns taking me out with their friends and to meals. Ive spend the majority of my time here with Val and Oscar who've taken me rowing on a lake, to eat all the street food I would have been to timid to try otherwise, and on buses full of indigenous people to tiny pueblos. I was even invited to Sunday dinner at Oscar´s house with his entire family as the first foreign visitor. As soon as I told his sister that the food was better than in a restaurant, they were taking photos of the gringa at their table. It was a truly amazing experience! My spanish is finally taking shape...

I find it ironic that Ive befriended maybe the only 3 people on the continent that don't drink. The only reason this is funny is because Tarija is like the Napa of Bolivia and the reason I came. The leader of my wine tour (where I was the only person) was Mormon so she didn't have a drop. Not even after she made me take part in the Tradicion del Valle d Vino: La Ceremonia del destape de la dama Juana. After I had to make a wish for myself, my friends and the country and taking a sip of wine after every wish, I had to drink wine out of a 2 meter long tube. Think beer bong but twice as long and full of wine, at 10 in the morning! I was offered a job serving wine at the upcoming wine festival in Tarija but alas, I will be in Mendoza then, trying their wine.

Yes Bolivia and especially Tarija, I will miss you dearly!!

14 comments:

mamastolp said...

Whoa, Cressida..!!! Where the heck are you NOW...????? LOL...,It sounds like I'm missing out on some great adventures..., Can I join you....??? The people who've met sound amazing, and just the kind of people you'll want to keep meeting. Tell any that you meet in the future that Dad and I are expecting a place at their tables soon...!!! Those are certainly the best kind of relationships you'll ever get 'out in the world'..,:) FYI.., keep them in the loop.
We love and miss you, however we wouldn't want you to be doing anything differant..,keep smiling..,OOOXXX's Mom

mamastolp said...

Cressida..,you're not the only 'adventurer' in the family now.., your Dad and I are going to SAIL to Maui via Molokai tonight.., Oh, no...!!! How could I let everyone talk me into this...??? LOL Larry Sweet just came over from CA for the trip and now they're out golfing.., typical, huh..?? Not even coming home for a shower in between.., they're showering at the yacht club and jumping on the boat. I, however am flying to Molokai to meet up with them and sailing to Maui. We're staying at Mike Smith's place in Lahina and doing the reverse on Sun., and this time I'm sailing all the way...,YIKES...!!! Where's my floaties...???!!!! We'll have our phones FYI, but no e-mail's for a week...,so hope you don't need any $$$$ LOL...!!! Love & kisses, Mom

P.S. Hope you're having a ball and BTW...,WHERE ARE YOU...??? LOL...!!! OX's

mamastolp said...

LOL...!!!! oops...!!!! That didn't make alot of sense.., I am not leaving with everyone tonight.., however..,I am meeting up with them tomorrow..., my bad. hehe, Mom OOOOXXXX's

Unknown said...

I love the updates, but I say more pictures!
You are in my thoughts often, be safe and have fun.
xoxox
Steph

Morgan said...

cede-I'm glad you are having such an amazing experience. I think about you all the time. Actually, I have a book recomendation for you. Maybe you have already heard of them, it is a series of novels...it's cheesy and corny, and totally unrealistic, and possibly the best love story ever...I know you'll love it. Very easy and light reading, I read all 3 in like 4 days. It is called the Twilight series, Twilight, New Moon and Eclipse, all by Stephenie Meyer. Check them out, they will be perfect for long bus/train rides! Love your guts...be safe!!!!!

mamastolp said...

Cressida..., We made it to and from Maui with smiles on our faces, so you can now call me a sailor...!!! We had a ball, and still miss you bunches.., take care and lots more loving to come..., OOOXXX's, Mom

mamastolp said...

Ola Lola..., It was great to hear from you and WooHoo.., you're still having a great time. You go girl...!!! I, on the other hand am missing you...!!! I wanna be there too...!!! Argentina sounds beautiful and I do wish I were there. Stay healthy and safe..., I Love You, Mom OOOXXX's

Unknown said...

OMG... How are you lady?? I know its so cliche to say, but you are an inspiration i have never felt before. I will definetly be following you more... love from sf!
Molly

Unknown said...

OMG!...I know it is cliche to say but you are an inpiration i have never felt before...I will definently be following your travels more.. love you girl
M xoxo

Unknown said...

yes i see it now, didnt think the first one posted...blah blah
you get the point
M

Unknown said...

yes i see it now, didnt think the first one posted...blah blah
you get the point
M

mike said...

Cressida ~It's me Kristen...Update this blog! I need photos, comments, Argentine gossip,stories(funny or not;)). No pressure, but pleeeeeeeeease. First grade isn't exciting enough, so I need to borow some of your travel adventures. I miss you. Love, Kristen

Lisa Busath said...

Cressida, Bill will be sooooo jealous you spent so much time in Boliva. He served his mission there, mostly up on the altiplano with the Aymara indians by Lake Titikaka (spelling?). It's like 14,000 feet or some crazy altitude. He was also in Potosi and LaPaz too. I've heard all about the silver mines and coca leaves. I think those miners live life with a perpetual buzz. I'm glad you're having so many fun and exotic adventures. Stay safe!

mamastolp said...

Hey Kiddo..., I'm missing you alot as I'm sure your friends are too. We are always wondering what you are up to. So tell us...!!!! Your Dad and I are same-O-same-O..., and doing our thing as in sailing away and of course wondering what YOU are doing....?????
LOTS of LOVE.., Mom OOOXXX
Be good and careful, I love you lots....:0