Wednesday, April 30, 2008

1/3 year update: 2008

I sit here in my hostel in Brosov, Transilvania, Romania, asking myself what am I doing and how I arrived? Mr. Vlad the Impaler, Dracula himself, is not helping me answer this question. I am back on the backpacker circuit and feeling energized and overwhelmed at the same time.But before I can begin to tell you why I'm in Romania, I must back up a few steps.

Immediately following my departure from Bariloche, Argentina where I had found a home and made a family...I met my real family, in Brazil. Mom and Dad visited for a month, conveniently during carnaval. They said they didn't know. I say, of course they did when not even a half hour after stepping off the plane we were in the crowded streets of Manaus, beer in hand.

The Amazon was incredible with 2 amazing weeks full of adventure, pouring down rain, brilliantly colored birds and sunsets, hammocks galore, camping under the canopy, natural remedies, cruelly delicious fruits, private boat trips with personal cooks. I even swam in the Rios Amazonas, which, as a person ridiculously afraid of fish, was a huge feat to be in the water where we caught piranhas and caught and released caimen!! I was pretty proud of myself and was thinking that a big incentive for scaring myself so much, was to tell Brain Chew about it later! So there Brian, I swam with caimen :)

My parents definitely know how to do things right and I had no problem, stepping back and having someone make decisions (and swipe the card :)! More than anything though, it was really great to see them and share travel stories and tactics. It took us two weeks of chattering like monkeys in the jungle before we could quiet down and relax on the beaches in the north. We elected Jericoacoara, a village of three sand-made streets to hang our hammocks for a while. Although though I could semi get by understanding Portuguese, it was a relieve when the owner of our pousada was Argentine so I could ask where to buy the best caipirinha.

The airport departure was not as dramatic as in Mexico, as we bid farewell again for another few months, and we hopped back up to the northern hemisphere.

Because my "job" in Switzerland fell through, I still had a ticket leaving me in London and a few awesome ladies wanting to catch up in Europe. Natasha and her generous family, welcomed me into their home in London for a ridiculously long time while I awaited the return of my passport. I had to send it into the embassy to have more pages added! After 2+ weeks, my time was up and I headed to warmer climates and to a place where I had left my heart: Espana!

Originally, I had planned on working on another farm in Spain to try and save some dinero because Europe and the disgusting dollar is killing me. Of course we all know how much Spain loves to party and with my expert timing, I arrived during Semana Santa, one of the largest all year. NO ONE wanted to work, including the farms I was calling. After 60+ phone calls, I decided that I too would celebrate and stop worrying that instead of saving $$, I was now spending double. (I met some awesome people though and in a period of 2 weeks, was invited to sleep on 3 couches, Gracias a todos!!) The parades were impressive with drums and trumpets blasting through the streets all day and night and costumes that were alarming. (Let's just say that the KKK uniform was inspired by the Semana Santa processionals.)

I was pretty proud of myself for keeping the promise that I had made to return to Spain as soon as possible. I followed closely the same route that I had showed Mom exactly 3 years ago. My heart swells when I think of how much Spain feels like home to me.

3 nights in Frankfurt, Germany to catch up with Paige, a friend from high school that I hadn't scene in 6 years. We're on the same continent? Of course we will catch up there! We weren't successful meeting up in the states, but somehow schnitzel and apelwein just bring people together!

Another week with the Lovely Leann and Brooke in Budapest. There was a lot of Italian food, Belguim Beer, SF catch-up, and one dreadful but adventurous Hungarian meal out. A few weeks later, and stomachs are in check, but just! Miss you already girls. Thanks making me feel like a human and not a backpacker!

Romania...well mostly Transylvania, where I put in my fangs and sunk my teeth in (sorry, had to.) It was the most surprising beautiful place, where strangers give you rides and grandpas knock the hats off the young boys bothering young girls in the train station at 5AM. Multzumesc old Man!

And now Greece, where I sit and write this email. Its always been a special place for me where the Gods make their presence felt and my brother does too. Today, sitting on a hill watching the sun set over the Acropolis, I couldn't shake the feeling that he was with me. Especially with the upcoming BDay looming and the butterflies lingering :)

Jess (college roommie and soul partner) just left after more than a week of spilling our guts. Sometimes it takes a best friend to make you blurt out all of the emotions that you didn't even know you were storing. It's been a challenge not being able to be emotionally close to the new people Ive met. Thank God I spewed out everything in 10 days with JB and I could spew for another lifetime! Let's all congratulate Jess for getting into her Green MBA program! woo hoo

I just spent the last few days in Napflio where everything was booked because of Greece's Easter. (Jess and I saw the most beautiful ceremonies, including one where the entire town of Pyrgos, Thira was lit on fire). All accommodation was booked but someone who reminded me so much of my Grandpa, invited me to sleep on the couch of his hotel. Efharisto!!! I happily accepted and spent the last two days in the sun on the rocky beaches.

This has been the most scattered, written over a period of 3 months however, everyone has been anxious for SOME kind of update. With my African tour coming up, computer time will be scarce so Im taking advantage of Athens late night cafes!

Signing out.

No comments: